This characterful old coaching inn has been welcoming travellers for hundreds of years - a tradition continued by owners Nick & Anne Harrington for the last 15 years.
The Cover Bridge Inn (formerly called the Forresters Arms and previously the Masons Arms), is situated alongside the River Cover, a few hundred yards upstream from the confluence with the River Ure. It was located here, alongside the Ford across the River Ure. The main ancient road from Richmond and the North crossed the River Ure at this point and continued up Coverdale crossing Park Rash Pass to Kettlewell in Wharfedale.
Although there may have been an older house on, or near the present site, the central 'T' shaped part of the inn was probably built around 1670, when there was much development in the area to cater for the increasing trade on the Drover's route up Coverdale (1695).
The bar has changed little over the years, with heavy open beams, wooden settles and a roaring log fires. This is the place to enjoy well kept draught ales: Theakston's Best Bitter, Old Peculier, Black Sheep, Timothy Taylors Landlord, guest beers, two real ciders and a gluten-free lager.
On fine days you can take a seat in the large Beer Garden and watch the River Cover flow gently by.